Monday, January 25, 2010

Greek salad and hummus

We eat a lot of salad in this house, often as a side dish, but tonight I made a big Greek salad as a main dish. I started with baby spinach (much preferred to lettuce in terms of taste and healthfulness) and topped with tomatoes, cucumbers, red peppers, olives, avocado, walnuts, Feta and balsamic vinaigrette. The salad was delicious.

To go with the salad, I made some homemade hummus, a super easy process using the food processor. I combined a can of chickpeas, ~1/3 cup tahini, 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil and the juice of a lemon and processed until smooth. I added a little water to get it to the right consistency. I served it with some whole wheat pita I bought and warmed up. The hummus turned out ok, a little bitter, but with good flavor (too bad I can't figure out how to make it just like Sabra). I must admit that this was the one dish so far that Alex refused to try due to his strong hatred of hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment