Friday, January 15, 2010

Taco Night

We decided that Friday night dinners in home-cooked January should be "fun" food, so this week we made one of our favorites, tacos. We filled the table with lots of yummy taco fillings, including ground meat (real meat!), refried beans, grilled peppers and onions, lettuce, tomato, salsa, sour cream, cheese, and guacamole.
There really aren't recipes to share...for the beans, I use canned pintos and mash them in their liquid. Saute 1/2 of a small onion and a clove of garlic in olive oil, then add mashed beans and cook until desired consistency. I've tried to make refried beans (and other dishes) using dried beans, but they just didn't come out that well and it was a whole lot more work. I guess I'm just a canned beans kind of girl. :) I've made guacamole a few times and haven't provided a recipe, so I figured I'd describe even though I don't follow a strict recipe. Basically I just mash a couple of ripe avocados, then add a bit of chopped red onion (a slice or two is enough), a clove of minced garlic, salt, cilantro and juice of half a lime. All can be adjusted to taste.

Take a look at our tasty creations (Al's is the double decker):

No comments:

Post a Comment