Thursday, January 7, 2010

Mushroom Risotto


Mike's dad kindly gave us a couple bags mushrooms so I've been thinking of a way to use them. One bag is full of king oyster mushrooms and I still haven't figured out what to do with them but tonight I used shiitakes to make a great risotto. I found a recipe from Bon Apetit and made some modifications:

Wild Mushroom Risotto
(recipe says two servings, but I think it's more like 3 big or 4 small)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
(1 small onion, minced - I added this ingredient)
8 to 10 ounces sliced fresh mixed wild mushrooms (I used 2 cups shiitake)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
1 cup arborio or medium-grain white rice
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Bring broth and wine to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Cover pan; keep warm.

Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften. Add mushrooms and 1 tablespoon thyme. Saute until mushrooms soften, about 3 minutes. Mix in rice. Add all but 1/4 cup of broth mixture. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered until rice is almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 18 minutes. Add remaining broth; simmer until rice is tender and risotto is creamy, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Mix in cheese and 1 tablespoon thyme. Season with salt and pepper.

This was a super simple and tasty recipe that I'd definitely make again. We ate it with some leftover bread from last night, leftover brussel sprouts and a green salad...Alex had a little supplementary baked chicken. And I had a glass of the wine I used to make the risotto...are you supposed to do that?


1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim,

    I love the recipes! I'm going to try both the risotto and the ziti this week. We're not buying meat anymore and I love finding tasty meat-free recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete