Monday, January 4, 2010

I ♥ Brussel Sprouts


Really, I love them. I never even ate them until I was an adult, but I'm so glad that I discovered them. I built tonight's meal around some fresh brussel sprouts I picked up this weekend. I tried the Braised and Glazed brussel sprouts recipe from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, which is similar to how I normally prepare them, but even more flavorful. Basically, you combine 3 tbsp butter, 1 lb brussel sprouts, ~3/4 cups vegetable stock, salt and pepper in a skillet and bring to a boil. Then lower heat for a simmer and cover for ~10 minutes. Then remove lid, increase heat and boil off all the liquid so that the sprouts get glazed and browned. These were so good, even Alex ate one! I served these with a Dittmar family favorite, mashed potatoes, and some lemony baked tofu or chicken using the following marinade:

Rosemary Lemon Marinade (this made enough for 1/2 block of tofu + 2 chicken breasts, also I've used it for a full block of tofu)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp dried rosemary
fresh ground pepper
Check out the finished chicken and veggie plates (notice Al's one sprout!):

No comments:

Post a Comment